My mother-in-law used a word to describe me recently. Soft. When I heard it, it just sounded so beautiful. Soft. Yes, that is exactly what I am, and how God made me. I’m owning it.
All my life I’ve been told that I’m too sensitive… that I cry too easily, that I wear my heart on my sleeve. I’ve been told to “toughen up” and let go of the opinions of this world. Still, regardless of how many times I am put down, trampled on, or made fun of, I know that Jesus made me sensitive for a reason. Here are a few of the reasons that I have come up with:
- I am sensitive so that I can hear the cries of those around me.
- I wear my heart on my sleeve so that those seeking empathy and understanding in a harsh world can find me.
- I cry because the world we live in is far from the freedom Jesus wanted for us.
- I feel deeply so that I can participate fully in the life Jesus sacrificed for me.
- I frown when someone picks on me because Jesus told us to love one another.
- I allow words to hurt me because it is a good way to decipher the good fruit from the bad fruit.
- I cower at insensitivity and ridicule because it is a disgrace to God, knowing that we are made in His image.
Maybe these truths can help you, or maybe you can add to the list I came up with. Please feel free to share below your comments and experiences being a sensitive person on a mission for God.